Togashi Satsuki

Re: You Are Too Low-Level To Proceed [D1, LA]

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Despite Sora's tone, Satsuki managed a smile and raised a hand to boop his forehead. "You've grown accustomed to following orders, uncle."

The bow was removed from her back to serve as a drawing tool in the dirt, and as she began drawing up the map, she continued to speak. "Something I've learned, in my effort to bring more unity to the clan by seeing to our people's spiritual needs, is that we can't ignore all of the old ways and traditions. No new leaves will grow on a tree whose roots can't find nourishment. We can't create something new from nothing, but we can grow into something new if we nourish the old."

She roughly noted in kanji the current location of the Stag, Nezumi, and the Shinomen Mori. "It's actually not a bad idea to keep them within range of their ancestral lands. For many of them, that is where their dead are buried, it's where they had their sacred sites of old. What I would've done, is to move them west of the Shinomen Mori, to the hills and mountainous region found there. The river stretching from the west and down south is a natural border, and the Stag would form the buffer zone. Yet it's close enough that those who want to honor the old tribal customs to make pilgrimages to their old lands. The Seppun are dedicated and pious folks, so I think it would be amenable to them to be wardens and guides to pilgrims."

There was a small sigh however. "Of course, the Nezumi might not like it, but as I said, sometimes there are no perfect options. I just think this is what I would have done, with what I know, and because it's good to question decisions. As for the Crab... they're not telling fables, Sora. It is a deep wound to be uprooted from your home like that. Neither of us can know what it was like for them."

"If you meet them with empathy and understanding, then they will warm up to you. Mending can only happen if you choose to meet halfway."
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

He blinked.

"We don't ignore all of the old ways and traditions. Hell, Yuzuru spends what seems like half his waking moments fighting with the Crane to keep it that way. My leather boots are made just the way we stitched them in the Spine of the World when I thought bronze swords were the most advanced weaponry we'd ever use, and I still get to eat any deer I happen to be able to bring down. So I don't see how that part is relevant here. And as far as leaving them next to the Nezumi, an Empire with greater unified military assets than we could possibly have presented and with whom peace is far more desirable was the default option. The option the Crab threw away by launching an unprovoked assault on people who had just helped us rescue Hisomu. The Crab chose a war only they wanted and that no one in the Empire, including them, was ready for. And west of the Shinomen? Still too close to the Empire that would regard them with hostility."

He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"It is not that I have no empathy, Satsuki, it's that my brain still works. I'm not saying they didn't go through an intense trauma, I'm saying that they're lying to themselves about the why and how of it. The little tales the Crab tell about how the injustice they suffer was done to them instead of being the least-awful choice left on the table in a frantic bid to keep them from being massacred are very much fables. And it has now been long enough that many of the Crab were born in the North. To them, the South is just a bitter story, drip-fed by their elders, they've never actually seen it. If they want empathy, believe me, I have as much for them as for anyone. What was done to them was actually kinder than what Hida would have done to every single Tribe that didn't fall in line under his rule had he taken the throne. As black jokes go, it's an intensely bitter one."

The old librarian let out a ragged sigh.

"I understand that they're unhappy. Of course they're unhappy. But until they take responsibility for their role in causing the conditions that led to their own unhappiness, what the hell is there to talk about? Once I nod and go, 'yes, you went through a lot,' and then they keep screaming about how it's all the Boss's fault, at what point do I get to remind them of what actually happened?"
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Togashi Satsuki

Satsuki sighed. It was useless talking to both Anjing and Sora on this. Too old and stubborn and set in their ways to approach things in a different manner.

"Claiming you have a functioning mind and they do not isn't empathy, uncle," she admonished calmly, doing her best to remember the lessons of her mother when having an argument. Don't get angry, don't raise your voice, stay calm and collected.

"As I keep saying, there was no perfect choice to make. Any choice, what was done, what I would have done, or others that could have been done, would all have their downsides. The one made, which has happened and can't be undone, is that the north is crowded by several clans who have to work twice as hard as the southern one to remain sustained. In the meantime, Stag and Crane have vast lands to claim in the future, making their lives easier by comparison which in turn will give them more power. That means Yuzuru's stand will become a losing battle perhaps." A future where the Crane and Stag united would trade food to the northern clans in return for favors, who would have no choice but to eventually agree to the proposals of the Crane. From what she had seen in her few years, and even fewer years of travel - it seemed too much like a possibility.

"But in the end, as long as it's family that stays around, I don't think it will happen yet." She shrugged. "Anyway, I'd say try talking with them, get to know them. Don't let your dislike of a few there ruin your impression of them all. If we all did that, well, then we'd be calling the Crane demonfuckers, right?" Satsuki chuckled at that particular phrase that had stuck with her since Matsu exclaimed it.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"I'm not saying their minds don't work, Niece of mine, I'm saying yours is more wrapped up in trying to fashion accord out of enmity than in the whys of both sides."

He chuckled.

"Kinda like your mother that way. Far as talking to them, I talk to any who get close enough to me, so maybe the issue's not mine, hm? There was a really nice Crab lady at Winter Court, remember her? She asked me what the Crab could do to regain standing in the Boss's eyes, and I told her making nice with the other northern Clans was a damned fine start. But we weren't talking about the Crab when this conversation began, Satsuki, we were talking about Anjing. And in her specific case, there's personal animosity in play. For my part, I see it as thing to die off when we do. After all, I also have personal animosity for Nanzi, it doesn't keep me from thinking his children have turned out remarkably well, all things considered. I think Kinsen's a dangerous lunatic, it doesn't keep me from thinking Genji's a good man. And lest you worry too much about the Crane and Stag making some kind of power play, well..."

He tapped the cheekbone under his oracular eye.

"I didn't need this to tell me they were trying something of that exact kind practically from the moment Nanzi and Kinsen realized their favored choices wouldn't take the Throne. In fact, had things not gone as they had at that Court five years gone, who can say what might have happened to them?"
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Togashi Satsuki

"No, I'm trying to think of how we can mend what has been broken," she admitted, chewing her lip, "but you and auntie Anjing are still on that wall, screaming at each other like mountain goats." She did say it jokingly though, even if they were both incredibly stubborn.

"Like, yeah, there are young Crab growing up there that don't even know or remember the old places, but I feel like waiting for the old to die out is just passing the problem to the future. Ugh. My brain is working too much these days!" Satsuki grunted in frustration. Having spent the past five years doing a lot of work, for her clan, and for the future in general, was exhausting work and she had barely had a moment's rest.

"And don't even get me started on... wait, I know auntie Kinsen is kinda crazy, but dangerous lunatic?"
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

His tone was dryly amused.

"She threatened to eat your Aunt Reiko's heart at one point. Not even Anjing and I got quite that heated with each other."

He noted her agitation and shook his head.

"You want a stubborn old man's advice? Don't take so much on yourself. Bad enough you're here for a selection of nine heroes for a throwdown with the Champion of Evil, after all. The world might hinge on what's happening in this... intensely weird and essentially untrustworthy village, but think of everyone who isn't here, and give them some credit for helping build that better tomorrow you want."

Carries:

Togashi Satsuki

"Sheesh," Satsuki nearly whistled the word in astonishment. Kinda feeling sorry for Genji, Kazoku, and uncle Hantei now. She grimaced thinking of how her very proper uncle would react to hearing something like that. No wonder why the Spider and Stag didn't get along so well.

"I don't like to think that we're all going to die here, and it will be the end of us all. Even if Ai thinks we all will die," she admitted sourly. "I feel there is still so much left for all of us here to do, to accomplish."
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Well, the odds we gave ourselves for going into Jigoku and coming out alive weren't terribly good either..."

He grinned.

"And of course Ai's feeling dramatic, look at who raised her. Even if the signs are bad, well... I don't know if you've noticed, but this Empire of ours thrives on doing the impossible. Which is why I'm telling you, just focus on what you can do, instead of on everything that needs to be done."

Carries:

Togashi Satsuki

"Yeah... she told me her father told her from the moment she was born pretty much that it was her destiny to be a Thunder and defend the Empire on that fateful day. I mean, to some extent, it's nice to have a very clear purpose in life, but... I'm relieved my parents have so far let us figure this out on our own." Satsuki scratched the back of her head, hoping her brothers were safe and not getting into trouble.

Which they undoubtedly were.

"Guess I'm just tired, and on edge about this village. Can't say we've been having good sleep lately, mhm?"
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Been a while since anyone has been able to sleep soundly. And yeah, there's... well. Shinsei can warn us against paranoia all he likes, but this is a hard place to trust."

Carries:

Togashi Satsuki

"Mhm," she nodded, finding it easier to focus her thoughts on that instead. "Strange fog, strange water... at least the people seem nice here, but I'm concerned about the families here if there is going to be a battlefield of sorts."

"Don't drink the water from the river, that much I know."
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Everywhere is in turmoil, and then you find one village that isn't? Sets my teeth on edge."

Carries:

Togashi Satsuki

"It could be a trap, or it could be a sacred refuge for us before the day of destiny is upon us. Either seems likely to me. I won't let my guard down, but I won't be a victim to mistrust." Satsuki shrugged, determined to not let all their paranoia get the best of them.

A thought crossed her mind, and she looked around them, and began walking further away from the shrine. Who knew what or who was hiding in the mist. "Oh... hmm... there is a secret I was supposed to keep, but... seeing as it's you, I probably should share." The young woman did look conflicted about it. "But it's a secret, and I'm just the messenger, so don't get upset, alright?"
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"If it's about that foulmouthed fox spirit or that fox-masked 'ronin,' don't worry, I know. If it's about those two monks, I know. If it's about that weird woman who keeps trying to speak in symbols, I know... if it's not, thrill me, Satsuki-chan."

Carries:

Togashi Satsuki

"Uhhhh..." she blinked a few times.

"Well, it was about the girl with the fox-mask, but it seems you already knew that. Which makes sense, all things considered." Awkwardly she tucked some of her hair back. Even now that she was doing more effort to keep it tidy or at least pinned away, it always found ways to become messy again.

"But you got me curious about all the other things you mentioned. Like, Hoto-Hori did seem kinda weird, but no idea about these other ones!"
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Don't feel bad. 'Han-Hei' couldn't figure out 'Hoto-Hori' either. This eye of mine has its advantages, especially when it comes to things I've seen before."

He shook his head and let some of the combination of resignation, anger, amusement, and pride that roiled in him seep out.

"That damnfool girl. All you kids, you're why we age, you know, time has nothing to do with it..."

Carries:

Togashi Satsuki

"Heh, can't say my folks have aged that much. Not like you have, but you were born old and grouchy," Satsuki laughed and made a face at him.

"But, I suspect she can mostly take care of herself. I'm more worried about Nao-chan - she traveled her on her own with just her pet pig! She's so young... and small, and well, I'm worried about her. Ugh, poor Rei-Rei must be so worried about her, on top of her duty as Champion of the Bat." At least she and her brothers were all pretty fit and healthy children, and were pretty capable on their own. "But what's this about lady speaking in symbols, and monks?"
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Oh, you didn't notice the crowd of monks? Yeah, give them a looking-over. And the lady speaking in symbols... I think she's some sort of animal spirit, based on the way she talks. Likes to jabber about Four Guardians Beasts or some such crap."

Carries:

Togashi Satsuki

"I... figured the monks were part of this Order of Heroes. I saw Nozomi there, so that made sense. But I'll take another look." Satsuki's brows furrowed. It seemed this gathering was drawing all sorts of mysteries to discover.

"I'm familiar with stories of some Celestial Four Animals, which some considered guardians. Also representatives of the elements, the seasons, emotions and colors," her lips pressed into a line as she thought for a moment, "mom would know more, but there were variations on those that had five instead of four. Usually the four would be Vermillion Bird, Azure Dragon, Black Tortoise, and White Tiger. The fifth is... Ki-Rin, I think? I know some folks invoke these in their divinations."

"That's about all I know though."
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Well, she's talked about the Tortoise, and seems to think we've swapped in the Crab for it, and the Vermillion Bird, and a Dragon of no particular color. Safe to say she's probably not human."

Carries: