Wu Zhe

Day 3 EA: Lunchtime entertainment! (draw lot play)

Post by Wu Zhe »

Special thanks given to Yoshitsune Chizu of the First Winter court from which this is almost entirely copy pasted from.
CASTING

The first 24 RL hours after the event opens is reserved for Casting.

Each player who joins the event during this time “draws” a part by rolling 1d10 (non exploding) for an Adjective and 1d10 for a Noun. Taken together, this defines their character in the play. The Adjective roll also determines whether that character is a "hero" or a "villain" in the play. Examples: if you roll 5 for adjective and 8 for noun, your character is a poor scholar who is a hero of the story. If you roll 2 and 4, your character is a cowardly woodcutter who is a villain of the story. Post your rolls and the result in the event thread in order to join the cast of the play.
(shenanigans might skew this somewhat)

The drawing of lots is somewhat rigged to avoid embarrassment to important persons, so any character with Social Position may roll 2k1 (non exploding) for each roll instead. (You may choose to keep either die in this case. Characters with multiple levels of Social Position still roll 2k1.)

1d10 adjective
1. bold (hero)
2. cowardly (villain)
3. naive (hero)
4. ignorant (villain)
5. poor (hero)
6. greedy (villain)
7. loyal (hero)
8. deceitful (villain)
9. clever (hero)
10. treacherous (villain)

1d10 noun
1. Fox
2. crow
3. canary
4. chipmunk
5. deer
6. monkey
7. tiger
8. turtle
9. badger
10.Porcupine

THE PLAY

24 RL hours after the event opens, Casting ends and the Play begins.

The event organizer acts as narrator and will describe a scene, including some exposition, character motivations, and a story objective.

The players who are part of the Cast then “act out” the scene by posting roleplaying threads describing what their characters are doing. Interacting with, and playing off of the posts from other players, is encouraged. Feel free to improvise being long-lost relatives of other characters, having other characters as your secret love or sworn enemy, etc.

During the play, the players in the Cast may role-play combat, but may not make combat rolls. The cast members may mutually agree who wins such a combat; otherwise, “hero” characters will be considered to win fights against “villain” characters, and all other conflicts are considered to be ties. No character may be “killed” (even narratively) until late in the play (no earlier than the last RL day of the game day); instead they miraculously escape, only to turn up again later.

During the play you should make at least one Acting or Perform roll (TN15) at an appropriate moment, to demonstrate to the audience how good you are at acting. But this is only for fluff purposes. There is no penalty for failing except you will look bad. (You must make at least 1 roll during the event. However, don’t make more than 1 roll per post.)

If appropriate, the narrator may interject further exposition or scene changes in order to move the plot along. The play continues until the story objective is achieved -or- the story is de-railed to the point of being silly -or- until player interest wanes.

Players who join the event after Casting has ended are considered part of the Audience. They can watch the play and applaud/heckle as appropriate.
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Nanzi Ai

Re: Day 3 EA: Lunchtime entertainment! (draw lot play)

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Ai needed a distraction and drew her lots and got the Heroic Bold Canary... thanks to her status.

OOC: 2k1 Draw Lot Play | 2k1 ⇒ 6, 2k1 Draw Lot Play | 2k1 ⇒ 9; she is a Bold Canary (Hero).
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

Han-Hei also stepped forward to have a moment of levity.

And was given a role that contrasted her cousin’s…

————

D3 Play Event, Role Rolls | 2k2 ⇒ 11

OOC: I am a Deceitful Canary (Villain)
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Status: 10.0 • Glory: 10.0 • Honor: Strength of A Thousand Ancestors

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Naraku also stepped forward and for once in his life, he managed to play the role of a hero.

---
Loyal Crow
D3 EA | Play adjective | 2k1 ⇒ 8
D3 EA | Noun selection | 2k1 ⇒ 2
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People
Status: 5.0 Honor: No (2.5) Glory: 3.5 (5.5 for remainder of game)

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Yoshitsune Ayako

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

Although Ayako's eyes looked tired, she had promised to help with the play; and it was important to honor her sister. Chizu would be glad that this is catching on, she thought.

After drawing a slip of paper from the helmet, Ayako gravitated towards where Nanzi Ai and Han-Hei were standing. "Birds of a feather flock together, right?" she said, smiling weakly as she showed her slip of paper that had assigned her the role of Cowardly Canary.

-
3EA Draw a random part for the play (first die=adjective, second die=noun) | 2k2 ⇒ 5
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Like Sora was going to pass THIS up!

The villainous Greedy Fox, with a few pointed memories in his head, was likely to engage in some method acting.

Casting roll, adjective | 1d10 ⇒ 6
Casting roll, noun | 1d10 ⇒ 1
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Kai

Post by Kai »

Kai tried his best not to be seen as he drew his lucky roll. Seeing his roll Kai chuckled a bit. The idea of him as a hero was amusing.

//D3 EA Sir Drawalot play adjective | 1k1 ⇒ 9 Clever

D3 EA Sir Drawalot play noun | 1k1 ⇒ 8 Turtle
*Flutist *Archer *Silent
Fatigue 0

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

Yoshitsune Ayako wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:44 pm
Although Ayako's eyes looked tired, she had promised to help with the play; and it was important to honor her sister. Chizu would be glad that this is catching on, she thought.

After drawing a slip of paper from the helmet, Ayako gravitated towards where Nanzi Ai and Han-Hei were standing. "Birds of a feather flock together, right?" she said, smiling weakly as she showed her slip of paper that had assigned her the role of Cowardly Canary.

-
3EA Draw a random part for the play (first die=adjective, second die=noun) | 2k2 ⇒ 5
"A flock of canaries, this should be most amusing," she replied.
Warrior Princess | Tall | White Hair | Dark Skin | Yumenosenshi | Great Destiny | Daisho
Status: 4.5 | Glory: 3.5 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Sturdy Clothing, Fashionable Things, Daisho, Yumi, Light Armor, Yumenosenshi Jade Mask, Lady Doji's Earrings

Yoshitsune Ayako

Post by Yoshitsune Ayako »

Nanzi Ai wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:10 am
"A flock of canaries, this should be most amusing," she replied.
"Beware, sister, for this world is not safe for canaries such as we," Ayako said, in an overdramatic voice as she sought to get into character. "If we are not careful, we may face our DOOOOM!"
Crab Clan • Samurai • Great Destiny • Directionally Challenged • Dreaming?
Status 1.0 • Glory: 3.5 • Exceptional Honor
carries: heavy armor, masakari, daisho, biwa

Nanzi Ai

Post by Nanzi Ai »

She smiled warmly and said confidently, "Doom may come but if we stand together, sister, we can overcome this evil."

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

How was a loyal crow supposed to act? Who was he loyal too? Did his loyalty need to be earned or did he already had someone or something he was loyal to? These thoughts surged across Naraku's mind as he tried to fit into the character he had been called to roleplay.

He glided towards the canaries, his distant cousins. He stood silently for a while observing them silently before he realized what was his crow's calling.

"Caw."

He looked at the three canaries.

"Caw Caw"
Crab Clan • Samurai • Menacing • Poison Master • Thunder of Rebirth • Hero of the People

Carries: Daisho, Utilitarian Kimono, Light Armor, Yumi with Arrows, 3x Jade Finger (1/3 and 2 full), One Vial of Amaterasu's Censure, Travel Pack

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Sora preened. He strutted.

He Judged.

And by some dark miracle, his acting was merely bad, rather than truly atrocious.

"I, the Great and Mighty Fox Hoi-Hoi, shall have ALL of the eggs! From the canaries, the crows, and yes, the turtles, ALL eggs shall be mine!"

He paused.

"Eggs are more emotionally satisfying when stolen, after all!"

[Acting/Awareness, Unskilled, adding a penalty for Disturbing Countenance | 2k2-5 ⇒ 13]
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

Crow-raku turned to the Fox. His face displaying his resolution to stop the greedy Fox.

He extended his arm-wings, enlarging his size to scare off the Fox. He started to waive his glorious wings.

"CAW CAW CAW CAW"

A miracle. A display for the ages. A reason for why Crow-raku had never attempted a career in theatre.

---

D3 EA | Acting | 3k3 ⇒ 8 (TN: 15)

Should actually be 3, since I forgot to remove the 5 from Disturbing Countenance

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Accursed crow! I must have the eggs through..."

He stroked his beard in a rough approximation of a sinister fashion.

"Perhaps some in the flock of canaries may be won to treachery... surely, as majestic and glorious a being as I should be able to persuade some silly birds!"

Carries:

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

“There was one such canary who thought to make herself safe through deceit and trickery.” The narrator proclaimed to the crowd.

Han-Hei sneakily made her way across the stage and took perch beside the fox.

“Lord Fox… I see that you are intent on feasting and there are none here who could resist your might and cunning for long. I pray that you will allow me to provide for you that which you desire if you will but stay your teeth from rending the flesh of my avian friends for a season.”

Han-Hei seemed to fill into the role with ease… displaying for the crowd the truth behind the performance.

————

D3 Play Event, Acting Roll, VP +1k1 | 4k4 ⇒ 35 (TN: 15)
Imperial | Emperor Shiba II | Confident | Human | Shining | Fire Averse | Great Destiny

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

"Ah, what a wise little bird you are! Truly, I hunger for eggs more than for feathery flesh..."

Another "sinister" stroke of his beard.

"And it is as you say, for none can withstand the might of the glorious Hoi-Hoi for long! I would hear how you will endeavor to serve my magnificence, little bird!"

Carries:

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

“Patience Great Hoi-Hoi the Insatiable… I shall give you all you desire and more. Simply protect me and mine from thy wrath.” She bowed in homage to the fox before departing his presence and communing with the birds across the stage.

“My dear friends… Danger has come for us. Hoi-Hoi comes for us and all we have.” She spoke with eery sincerity.

“But none of us are strong enough to defeat him… for his hide is strong, his teeth sharp, and his bound the sky…” She leaned in conspiratorially.

“But… his skull is also thick. And you know me to be the most cunning of all the avian world. Therefore, entrust to me your eggs. I shall hide them away so that the dolt Hoi-Hoi shall never find them… and we and ours will be safe.”

Hiruma Naraku

Post by Hiruma Naraku »

"Yet the loyal crow could feel that something was not right" The narrator proclaimed to the crowd.

The gall. The betrayal. The canary had deserted her flock and the stench of Hoi-Hoi could be felt all over her plumage.

The crow strutted confidently towards the deceitful canary, his head bobbing up and down as he moved. The bobbing made him look like a bird, not a crow mind you, but rather like a pigeon or rooster.

"Caw," he questioned her but the answer was clear. "Caw!"

He wobbled his extended arms up and down and lifted his knee towards his chest, imitating the raised claw of a crow. The bobbing increased in speed, getting Naraku rather than Crow-raku, a bit dizzy but the pecks had to fly.

He would defeat the deceitful canary and he would protect the tiny canary flock.

Once his GLORIOUS pecking was done he turned to Hoi-Hoi, his eyes narrowing.

"Caw."

The fox would pay.

---
D3 EA | Acting 2 | 3k3-5 ⇒ 13 (TN: 15)

Shiba Kumori

Post by Shiba Kumori »

The deceitful canary flitted and dodged the Crow’s pecking. She soared away from the pack of birds… off to the side by herself to flee from the Crow.

“The Crow is a fool. They are all fools. Only I am smart enough to survive… I must protect my own! What mattereth it if the others do not survive? They are not mine. I will protect my own! I will live… I will show them their folly!”

She then flew off of the stage to ostensibly plot the heroes’ doom.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Hoi-Hoi, the Greedy Fox, was also prideful, vain, and... lazy.

"I do hope that little canary comes through... but until then, it's time for a nap. We foxes require a great deal of napping to maintain our majestic forms and unearthly beauty, after all! And our inimitable grace and panache are so tiring to maintain..."

He lay down on the stage, belly up, arms and legs sprawled out as if he'd collapsed in a drunken heap, and started snoring.

Loudly.

Another bad acting roll! | 2k2-5 ⇒ 7

Carries: