Togashi Satsuki

Re: Four Scrolls to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!

Post by Togashi Satsuki »

Otaku wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:53 pm
Would Cooperative Rolls be useful for any of the construction or lore parts of the project? (This might be a Canary question rather than a Satsuki question...)
There are two different types of Cooperative Rolls.The first involves a group working together toward one end, without significant consequences for failure. An example might be multiple shipwrights working on a new seagoing vessel. In these cases, one individual is chosen from those participating to make the Skill Roll. He receives a bonus to the total of his role equal to the combined Ranks of all other participants in the Skill in question.
My one rank of spellcraft (or two if I bump it with XP) is about all I could contribute, besides moral support and Having A Cool Looking Horse support
That would be a Canary-question and not a Satsuki-question for sure, but I am totally for it!

Satsuki is very good at spellcraft, rolling 9k4 before buffing herself with spells or Void.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 4.0 (possibly Togashi's Heir) 🐉 Glory: 3.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

I wanted Elemental Magic, but didn't want to give up my other Advantages.

I am 6k3 base for, Calligraphy (Cipher), Spellctaft (Research), Elements, Spirit Realms and Storytelling.
Void 4 and 3 in every other ring.
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

Again, with a Jiyo Void-Bomb and Fukurokujin's Blessing, Sora throws 7k5 at Lore: Spirit Realms. Otherwise he can stand there and look pretty.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe »

I'm no expert but nine scrolls might be best
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed by Ebisu - Great Destiny - Agricultural reformer - Thunder of Mercy
Honor: What is expected, renown 1, Status: 4, finger of jade

Saru Shang

Post by Saru Shang »

Shang is capable of doing Painting and Storytelling at 10k5 each, after void and bonuses. No limits on raises too. How many raises are we shooting for here?
Dragon Clan • Courtier (Probably) • Artisan (Maybe) • A Bit Scattered • Needs Inspiration
Honour: What is Expected • Status: 2 • Glory: 3
Carries: Parchment, Charcoal, Wakizashi, Yumi & Quiver, Fan, Straw Hat, Cup, Jade, Dreamstone

Description

Togashi Satsuki

Saru Shang wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:30 am
Shang is capable of doing Painting and Storytelling at 10k5 each, after void and bonuses. No limits on raises too. How many raises are we shooting for here?
:o

That's amazing!

I would say Raises would be entirely up to what you are comfortable with. Passing the TN is most important, I'd say, but Raises help (as per Canary) for the end result.
Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty (Benten's Blessing) • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens • Gift of Foresight • Great Destiny
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver, scrolls in a satchel, jade bracelet and a jade-conch, Guqin (on occassion), wide-brimmed hat with veil, travel cloak with fur.

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei »

I could do craft Stoneworking for the rods, at 6k4 or 7k5 with my void. Might even be able to infuse them with Earth kami, if I did that right. Commune to wake the rod first, maybe?

I can also offer a copy of Bonds of Ningen do to the Earth spell to be used.

And, I have linen or cotton to back the scrolls.
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 3 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle, new case for scrolls.

Ryoshun Nao

Post by Ryoshun Nao »

I was wondering if Transmute could be used to turn pure elements into scroll materials.
Bat Clan Shugenja Storyteller Small Older Than She Seems Younger Than She Thinks Destined Realm Walker Epileptic Thunder
Honor 4.5 | Status 4 | Glory 3

Carries: Wakizashi, Yari, Knife, Lantern
Accompanied By| San

Kaiu Tai

Post by Kaiu Tai »

Listing those I haven't seen already posted with much better abilities. (sorry if I missed someone)
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:34 pm

Interlocking rods:
Craft: whatever's relevant to the material they're using/Intelligence TN 25
Woodwork or other fitting skill goes here. :)

Without magical Int manipulation or Void: Craft Stone:knapping is 6k3 or masonry (which is better for the fine point of something that fits together and comes apart) 5k3. So possibly worthwhile as something cooperative with Kyosei's stoneworking (even in Dawn 1, I realized I shouldn't have gotten so precious with craft skill names and just called it stoneworking.XD)

[
b]2. Constructing the scrolls[/b]
This will require making scrolls of high quality, using fabric as a reinforced back and cover to the paper/parchment. It should be decorated and written with good calligraphy. So that means the following:
Craft: Scroll/Intelligence TN 20, FR for those with the Elemental Magic advantage.
Calligraphy/Intelligence TN 20
Artisan: Painting/Awareness TN 20 - Saru Shang
Can craft with Phantom skill of 4k3 base. But doesn't have Elemental Magic.

Tai casts Earth at 10k6 when spending void, so makes sense for the casting part there.

Developing a new spell with a TN starting at 20 is interesting. Spellcraft is decent for it at 6k3 base though. Otherwise, I think you mentioned to me somewhere (PM?) using Courage of the [Nine] Thunders, which is a nice boost for folks in the fight, though potentially awful symbolism as it gets tainted.

*= I would much rather prefer that we keep it to PCs to avoid the topic of mistrust and what-not. There's just too much trouble there that I just don't want to deal with personally.
Seidou turned Crab * Shugenja * Mason * Potter * Wrong Somehow
Blackened teeth and nails * Shadowed eyes * Scarred

Nobody trips on mountains, but they'll stumble on stones

Carried: spear, stone knife, jade, satchel of stuff...maybe rocks.
description

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Since D5 is already well underway, I guess this will happen on D6? Should we reserve the LM or EA timeslot (i.e. the zenith one; because south)?
Bushi • CavalryDestinedDuelist • Hero • Ronin
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.
Unaligned :tiger: Description

Togashi Satsuki

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:47 am
Since D5 is already well underway, I guess this will happen on D6? Should we reserve the LM or EA timeslot (i.e. the zenith one; because south)?
It took some time to get feedback on things and work out details. Apologies.

We can absolutely reserve a group-slot for Day 6, but for Day 5 people can already start working together. Like brainstorming stories and what-not, or begin gathering materials.

I'm sorry for not directing very hard on this. I only have so many spoons these days myself.
Theme | Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora »

I mean, depending on the breaks, Day 7 might be a fine time to let some non-Thunders do their thing.
ImperialAssassin and former BabysitterLibrarian • Experienced 3 • Bushi • Evil Eye • Tough as Old Leather • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Lucid Dreamer • Probably Older Than You • Literally Went to Hell One Time • Has Five Kids and Babysat Shiba II and all of her sisters, Don't Test Him

Carries:
Day to Day- A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, five fingers of jade and some dried flower petals.
Danger Imminent- Add light armor, a naginata, a yumi, and arrows.

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei »

If someone lets Kyosei know in-character, he can start crafting the rods.

Available LM, any Afternoon, or Early evening.
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 3 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle, new case for scrolls.

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:53 am
It took some time to get feedback on things and work out details. Apologies.

We can absolutely reserve a group-slot for Day 6, but for Day 5 people can already start working together. Like brainstorming stories and what-not, or begin gathering materials.

I'm sorry for not directing very hard on this. I only have so many spoons these days myself.
No issue, doubly so as it's a role you've been pushed into: There are about half a dozen deeply involved in this plotline already, and none other has dared taken the burden of leadership (likely for very good reasons, like being aware of one's limited availability).

[and I am reminded of a not too dissimilar group project led by Ayumu in Day 2... that convinced me to not lead group projects in those games anymore; ah, the infinite energy and naivety of the newcomer]

I think we've got the material needs covered already? Especially since we're using solely things brought by ourselves rather than local stuff that could nothing but dream matter, soon to fade away as the sleeper awakens.

However, should we sacrifice a few fingers of jade to make powder we'll mix with the ink? L5R has a theme that jading things makes everything better. Alternatively, we could sculpt Jade seals (that kind of seal) in the image of the beasts, and use them to seal each parchment once we're done. Actually, maybe that's what you're referring to as rods?

I'll make an arstsy exchange thread soon then. Probably D5 EA, as I like my highest point sun theme. Just need to find a few illustrations for cards beforehand...

... Listen, I need to make these cards to keep sane. They have been my main stress coping mechanic this game. You've seen what happens when I post directly instead of taking some time to craft a new one.
Battle: Melee 5 Attack against a Follower or a Personality with lower Personal Honor than The White Tiger.

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Regarding the identity of each beast, my own current version is:

Tortoise: The one that was there first, who was already old when the others were young. Has lived through many cycles, some ancient enough only they still exist to remember them. Used to be a denizen of the ocean depths. Might not be dead, just hiding in their ancient home.

Dragon: Unsurprisingly, the weird, mysterious, close to incomprehensible, one. Of course has plans within plans and shows up unexpectedly to have them succeed. Might or might not be the Celestial Dragon of current Rokugani cosmology.

Bird: The watcher, seeing all from their vanguard point in the sky, perched on the stars. Knows a song for each event, from the sun rising in the morning to the darkness showing up once every millennium. Mundane birds might be their agents, spies, messengers.

Tiger: The youngest one, and the one closest to the mortal realm. The comic relief, also the one it's easiest to interact with as their preoccupations are not that different of those of mortals.

Hisomu Tadaka

Post by Hisomu Tadaka »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:24 am
I think we've got the material needs covered already? Especially since we're using solely things brought by ourselves rather than local stuff that could nothing but dream matter, soon to fade away as the sleeper awakens.
If needed Goju has extra paper and a writing box available.
Spider Clan Bushi * Ninja * Seeker of the Sea * Naval * Destined for Greatness * Captain of The Jolly Jellyfish * Formerly Hisomu Goju * Name Restored
Honor: Untrustworthy/Status: 3.0/Glory: 3.0
Items: Bronze Sword, Jade, Light Armor

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

... Fuck. My English has once again failed. All this time I have been thinking of a tortoise as a sea turtle, when turns out the word explicitly means land turtle.

We'll go for the "words change meanings through time, but names of places and people might not get the update" excuse...

EDIT: I have been reminded the L5R game designers did the exact same mistake. So it's actually like mega canon tortoises are sea animals in the L5R universe.

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

My Spellcraft and most Craft skills are rather shoddy tbh :/ comes with being more focused on finding food than building stuff I guess XD

But willing to try the water spell. I could get up to 7k3 for Spellcraft with FKB, or even 8k4 if Mental Quickness can also help. Funnily enough water spells, water traits and my two advantages related to water won't be any help, so I guess that's the most I can do. If Chuchu can raise that higher with Name Talent, then that can get up to 10k4, but pretty much a group effort to cheat a test at that point XD

Exactly the same goes for Craft: woodworking and Calligraphy, which will be using intelligence as well.

For actually casting the Water Spell, Tae-soo has 8k4 before Void (extra bonuses for a few spells learned at IR 1 and for Commune, but I'm guessing that won't come into play here).
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme

Kaijarisuigyo

Post by Kaijarisuigyo »

Oh yeah, there's the Shinsei 2 thing EA. So, let's go for MA then even if it's not as symbolic:

The awkward four-parts presentation

Haka Tae-soo

Post by Haka Tae-soo »

Kaijarisuigyo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:40 pm
Oh yeah, there's the Shinsei 2 thing EA. So, let's go for MA then even if it's not as symbolic:

The awkward four-parts presentation
I do have MA free, but just so I know how to approach this IC - how/when is this meeting presented and/or communicated IC?
Scorpion • Shugenja • Tribal survivor • Protective brother • Destined

Carries: Mosu village robes and earrings, straw cloak, bo, knives, fishing kit, often travelling pack and/or food.
Cares for: Ha-yeong, 14 year-old troublemaker.
DescriptionTheme